tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Anand Bashyam Narasimhan <ana...@digitalthink.com>
Subject RE: Cookies
Date Wed, 19 Jun 2002 10:26:13 GMT
Matthew,

You don't have to do anything in the Java code to do this. You can use
Javascripts ability's to delete the cookie. By deleting you simply set the
expiry for the cookie to "-1" or to a time that has already expired. There
are numerous website that tell you how to handle cookies using Javascript
easily. Just put a search for Javascript cookies on Google.

Cheers,

Anand

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthew Oatham [mailto:Matthew.Oatham@AssetHouse.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 19, 2002 3:56 PM
To: 'tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org'
Subject: Cookies

Hi,

I hope this is appropriate for this list!

I've just started to use cookies, I can set a persistent cookie on the
client i.e. to see if they have visited the site before. This cookie exists
on the client when the browser is close, the machine is turned off etc... I
want to give the user an option to "log off" which ideally will remove the
persistent cookie from the client i.e. delete the cookie file on the client.
Can this be done? Or do I have to settle with unsetting the values inside
the cookie?

Thanks.