tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat/src/share/org/apache/tomcat/util/depend DependClassLoader.java DependClassLoader12.java
Date Wed, 12 Jun 2002 00:41:17 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: <costinm@covalent.net>
To: "Tomcat Developers List" <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 5:09 PM
Subject: Re: cvs commit:
jakarta-tomcat/src/share/org/apache/tomcat/util/depend
DependClassLoader.java DependClassLoader12.java

> On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, Bill Barker wrote:
>
> > >   +
> > >   +    public URL[] getURLs() {
> > >   +        return ((URLClassLoader)parent).getURLs();
> > >   +    }
> > >

> > This can (and will) cause a ClassCastException.  You can't assume that
> > parent is a URLClassLoader.
>
> I'll add a check.
>
> If JDK1.2 is used, we also use URLClassLoader ( and DCL12 can't
> be used with 1.1 ). At least with the standard set of modules.

Unless the use11Loader="true" attribute is set on LoaderInterceptor11.

> I don't see any good reason to use anything but a URLClassLoader ( or
> extension of ) if JDK1.2 is available, it is more secure and simpler.

The main reason is that using a URLClassLoader prevents you from being able
to replace jar file in WEB-INF/lib on the fly.  Of course, it would probably
be better long term to jump through all of the same hoops that Remy does for
4.x to get around this problem.