tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Remy Maucherat" <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: PROPOSAL: build directories
Date Sat, 08 Jun 2002 00:18:10 GMT
> On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Remy Maucherat wrote:
>
> The problem is that I loose track of all the dozens of projects, each with
> different conventions and locations.
>
> By 'clean build' I meant building all the projects from their sources,
> to make sure all things are in sync. My conclusion so far - it's
> impossible to do so, there are far too many inderdependencies and
> chicken-egg problems.
>
> For 4.x we do build in 7 different places:
>
> - jakarta-tomcat-4.0/catalina/build
> - j-t/jasper/build
> - j-t-jasper/jasper2/build
> - j-t-c/util/build
> - j-t-c/jk/build
> - j-t-c/coyote/build
> - j-t-c/http11/build

Those are the source dependencies.

> To that you can add about 10 different build directories for
> jakarta-commons ( 3-4 ), log4j, mx4j, etc.

You are supposed to deal with stable versions of each of these. Because of
bugs, or because the package is not ready yet, we're not at the moment, but
hopefully this won't last for too long.

> Of course, it's simpler with checked-in binaries, but if you
> want to debug a cross-project problem it's hell. Jars are
> scatered in at least 20 directories.
>
> Can you do a full build of tomcat ( including all dependent jars
> that are open source ) ?

We have a different definition of what a full build is. You define it as:
rebuild everything from HEAD, including the dependent JARs (Gump style),
while I define it as: rebuild all the Tomcat components (the 7 you defined
above) based on "stable" versions of the dependent JARs. Since we should IMO
base our work on stable versions of the dependent JARs, this seems like a
legitimate way to do the build.

'ant clean' followed 'ant dist' will do that with 4.1.

Remy