tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Remy Maucherat" <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: PROPOSAL: build directories
Date Fri, 07 Jun 2002 23:34:42 GMT
> On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Remy Maucherat wrote:
>
> > > Some of you may remember back in tomcat3.0 we used to
> > > build all the stuff in jakarta-tomcat/../build and ../dist.
> > >
> > > What do you think about moving back to that layout ?
> >
> > I'd vote -1. I like the current style better. I have lots of different
> > Tomcat 4.x repositories (4.0.4-b3, 4.0.x, 4.1.x, 4.0.3), and if the
build
> > was ../build, I'd have lots of nasty conflicts between the different
copies.

> I could use separate 'workspaces' for each version ( or combination) -
i.e.
> /ws/40
> /ws/41
> /ws/gump
>
> In each you can have a certain combination of versions, including
> builds from HEAD, etc. How do you work with jakarta-tomcat-connectors
> and jasper ? ( the tagged and HEAD versions ) ?

I use the properties to define which repositories I want in my build.

> Right now each component creates a build/ somewhere 1-2 levels deep
> in the _source_ tree, copies stuff from different places - a
> total mess, even if you are familiar with the sources.

I agree this is not perfect, but IMO it is a lot less risky that ../build. I
could indeed maintain completely separate environments, but this is not very
convinient or efficient (at least for me). Note that the current system
doesn't prevent you from doing that (but the one you propose would require
you to do so).

> At least at my level of knowledge about jakarta and tomcat - I find
> it close to impossible to have a clean build ( i.e. from sources ).

You'll notice that 'ant clean' in TC 4 clears all the Tomcat source
dependencies, to avoid that.

Remy