tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From <cost...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: [Coyote] Coyote 1.0b9 release notice
Date Fri, 10 May 2002 23:42:40 GMT
On Fri, 10 May 2002, Jon Scott Stevens wrote:

> My only semi-major complaint about Coyote (and I told Remy about this in
> person) is that the container now returns 503 errors until the servlet is
> started. Before, it would block (not quickly return a 503) until the servlet
> is finished starting.
>
> Remy said it was a result of the new threading that Costin put into things.

Well, it is a result of the new threading in the sense that now it is
possible to not block. If you want to bock there - it is quite easy to
code this :-)

I think returning 503 is a correct behavior too - it means 'resource
temporary unavailable, try later' - which is exactly the case. Apache
should return the same result if it can't connect to tomcat.

Costin