tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Pier Fumagalli <p...@betaversion.org>
Subject Re: Vicious Abuse? (an outsiders perspective)
Date Sat, 25 May 2002 15:36:05 GMT
"James Mitchell" <jmitchtx@telocity.com> wrote:

> I've been following along with this/these rather ridiculous thread's).

Good...

> No, I am not a committer, so you can hit the delete key now if you judge
> people by their status.

Who said I am? I _am_ the one who is trying to modify the current status quo
so that people with different skills and interests can be part of the
Jakarta community without being tied to a CVS account.

> IMHO, giving someone a -1 is one of the rudest things I have seen on this
> list in quite a while.

Casus belli. I believe that me and Dan cleared this whole thing up and (go
and read), I've even "welcomed" him to the set of committers with CVS
account in the Tomcat project. He has my +1.

> What is most surprising to me, is how you stuck to your ignorant opinion,
> even after so many others were willing to vote them in.

My "ignorant" opinion is based on years of working within this project, is
based on making things for you all work, day by day. I don't usually point
this out, but my contributions to Jakarta are not the few lines of code I
put in Warp, but somewhere else (and those who know, know it). I might not
even be a committer if it wasn't for 2/3 patches a month, but do believe me
when I say that I spend at least 4 hours a day to do stuff for this amazing
bunch of folks.

> I have no plans in the future to become a Tomcat committer, however, I do
> have my sights set on the Struts project.  I sincerely hope that there are
> no committers there who share your view on 'how to keep yourself important
> by keeping others out'.  I have seen this characteristic before in a few
> people, of whom shall remain nameless, but they know who they are.

"Keep meself important by keeping others out" ??? I welcomed Dan to the
community, and _actually_ what I'm trying to do, is to offer a greater deal
of freedom to this community as a whole, for people who CODE, and for people
who DON'T...

    Pier

--
[Perl] combines all the worst aspects of C and Lisp:  a billion of different
sublanguages in  one monolithic executable.  It combines the power of C with