tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Hans Schmid" <Hans.Sch...@einsurance.de>
Subject AW: PROPOSAL: mod_jk2: new lb values
Date Thu, 02 May 2002 19:01:59 GMT

Int is definately the way to go for lbfactor.

> - The value will be from 1 to MAX ( 100 ? ).
>
> - Smaller values will mean more work. The value '0' ( or a special
> flag ? ) will mean the worker will be used allways ( as long as it is not
> in_error state ). We can make sure the '0' is the first in the list,
> and avoid looking for others.

OK, I would do it the other way around (greater value = more work)
but this is a matter of taste.

> -  A factor 2 will take 2 times fewer requests than factor 1, 3 will be
> 1/3, etc. ( each worker uses a counter, and the counter is incremented on
> each request with the factor value - that's how it works today to
> implement the round roubin ).

OK

> -  When a worker reaches MAX, all workers will be reset to their
> original values and error state reset. ( that means we'll reset the
> error state based on number of requests, not time ) ( is this a
> good idea ?)
>
> - A value of MAX ( Or flag ? ) will mean the worker will take no
> request, except those with a previous session id. That's the gracefull
> shutdown.

I would seperate the active/inactive state (the manually set inactivity not
the one resulting from error states) from the lbfactor value
(see my other reply about the 'active' flag')

So only apply the round robin logic to channels with active=1

Note: This Active flag would be configured at runtime.
-> Mark one Tomcat to shutdown graceful means set active=0
-> Startup Tomcat would set active=1 and use the assigned lbfactor

This way you know what to do with a worker that has reached MAX
either
- it's counter has to be reset if active = 1
or
- it must stay at MAX, because it was deactivated (set to active=0)

Hans