tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Kormos <kism...@baxter-it.com>
Subject long return time of HttpServletResponse.getWriter()
Date Mon, 06 May 2002 13:28:06 GMT
Hi All,

I'm Peter, a newcomer on this list.

I'm using Tomcat for quite a while, and occassionally I bump into the
following  problem:

Basicly the servlet's code is:

  public void doPost(HttpServletRequest req, HttpServletResponse res)
throws ServletException
  {
    PrintWriter out = null;
    try
    {
      res.setContentType("text/html");
      out = res.getWriter();

// generate response and send it back with out.print()

      res.flushBuffer();
      out.close();
    }
    catch (Exception e)
    {
//catch Exception
    }
  }

Sometimes,

      out = res.getWriter();

takes seconds, even more than a minute to return.  After
res.getWriter(), everything goes fast, and doPost() finishes in a few
milliseconds.
It does not often happen, usually once / 2 months. In the last two weeks
it happened quite often and some assistance would come handy.

Our configuration is:

Linux Red Hat 6.1 with 2.2.13-013SMP kernel
Apache 1.3.19
Tomcat 3.2.3 + mod_jk

I've searched the archives and the Net, but couldn't find anything
connected to this problem.
If available, could anyone direct me to the URL where this problem is
covered?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards,

Peter