tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-4.0/catalina/src/share/org/apache/naming/factory DbcpDataSourceFactory.java
Date Fri, 17 May 2002 00:01:51 GMT

On 16 May 2002 glenn@apache.org wrote:

> Date: 16 May 2002 21:30:22 -0000
> From: glenn@apache.org
> To: jakarta-tomcat-4.0-cvs@apache.org
> Subject: cvs commit:
>     jakarta-tomcat-4.0/catalina/src/share/org/apache/naming/factory
>     DbcpDataSourceFactory.java
>
> glenn       02/05/16 14:30:22
>
>   Modified:    catalina/src/share/org/apache/naming/factory
>                         DbcpDataSourceFactory.java
>   Log:
>   Add support for the new DBCP Features.
>
>   Three new DBCP parameters were added:
>
>   removeAbandoned - True or false. If true abandoned db connections
>   are removed after the removeAbandonedTimout is exceeded if the dbcp
>   is nearing exhaustion.
>
>   removeAbandonedTimeout - Time in seconds since a connection was last
>   used before it is considered abandoned.
>
>   logAbandoned - True or false.  If true Exception stack traces are
>   created so that the source of an abandoned db connection can be logged.

To avoid maintaining duplicate code for this kind of thing, what would you
think about switching Tomcat to using
org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory instead, and made these
changes over there?  That way, they would be available to non-Tomcat users
of DBCP as well.

(Historically, I wrote DbcpDataSourceFactory first -- but it really
belonged in DBCP so it got copied to create BasicDataSourceFactory.)

Craig