tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [4.1] Add additional events
Date Sat, 11 May 2002 00:00:37 GMT

On Fri, 10 May 2002, Remy Maucherat wrote:

> Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 15:51:26 -0700
> From: Remy Maucherat <remm@apache.org>
> To: tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: [4.1] Add additional events
>
> I plan to add additional events to the components start and stop methods:
> before_start, after_start, before_stop, after_stop. This has been suggested
> and discussed a while ago, but never actually implemented.

Are you thinking about adding new method calls to the Lifecycle interface,
versus just some new event types?  If it's the former, a couple of
thoughts:

* The initialize() method was added to o.a.c.Connector, primarily
  to provide what I imagine you're thinking of as before_start --
  I'd suggest either using this name or migrating it to before_start.

* There are quite a number of places that components implementing
  Lifecycle are started and stopped dynamically -- dealing with
  them all is a non-trivial amount of editing (although the changes
  required are pretty straightforward).

Adding just the extra event notifications makes sense, and is somewhat
easier (although you still have to fire them from all the appropriate
places), but doesn't give you quite as much flexibility in managing things
since the listeners don't throw a checked exception.

> Remy

Craig