tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-connectors/coyote/src/java/org/apache/coyote/tomcat4 CoyoteServerSocketFactory.java
Date Thu, 02 May 2002 04:16:34 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: <costinm@covalent.net>
To: "Tomcat Developers List" <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 01, 2002 8:19 PM
Subject: Re: cvs commit:
jakarta-tomcat-connectors/coyote/src/java/org/apache/coyote/tomcat4
CoyoteServerSocketFactory.java

> On Wed, 1 May 2002, Bill Barker wrote:
>
> > >   Add missing "public" for getFactory.  Couldn't access the method
through
> > >   reflection without being public.
> > >
> > >   Revision  Changes    Path
> > >   1.2       +1 -1

jakarta-tomcat-connectors/coyote/src/java/org/apache/coyote/tomcat4/CoyoteSe
> > rverSocketFactory.java
> >
> > I had thought that we had agreed to deprecate this one (in favor of some
day
> > being able to get PureTLS working in 4.1.x).  Not that I object to Amy's
> > change, but I hate to see her wasting her time on something that is
going
> > away.
>
> I thought PureTLS was working in 4.1.x ( and coyote ). At least the
> networking code has all the hooks, there are just few problems with the
> certs.
>
> Is there any additional problem ?

The problem is that o.a.c.tomcat4 doesn't play nice with others ;-).
PureTLS has additional attritubutes that aren't being passed through.  This
can be fixed easily enough by (like TC3.3) adding a set/getAttribute &
set/getProperty methods.  The other problem is that the o.a.c.Request
attributes aren't passed through to the ServletRequest (AFAIK, this should
cause problems for JK2 as well).

> ( if we're going to deprecate, it would be good to do it before the
> release )

It doesn't serve any useful purpose anymore (the actual SocketFactory is in
o.a.t.u.net), but I'd deprecate rather than remove (for now), since Coyote
is also used in 4.0.x.