tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From <cost...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: jakarta-tomcat-connectors documentation/summaries
Date Sun, 28 Apr 2002 22:03:54 GMT
On Sun, 28 Apr 2002, Christopher K.  St.  John wrote:

> mod_jserv
>
>  where to get the source:
>    java-jserv repository

I would recommend jakarta-tomcat, the version there has been tested
the most with tomcat ( there are no significant changes AFAIK ).

>  unerlying protocol:
>    AJP11

Ajp12 - also supported in mod_jk1.

>  works with:
>    servlet containers:
>      JServ

Tomcat3.x as well ( which supports ajp12 ).

>    web servers:
>      old versions of Apache httpd

All apache1.3 versions.

> mod_jk
>
>    should jk2 be listed out separately?

Probably not.

>    why it was written:
>      originally, clean-up of mod_jserv.

Refactoring of mod_jserv to better abstract the server
and protocol.

>    where to get documentation:
>      jakarta-tomcat-connectors/jk
>      tomcat-dev mailing list archives
>      http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-3.3-doc/mod_jk-howto.html
>      http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/config/jk.html
>      http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/config/jk2.html

There are some interesting how-tos on the web ( including for
lb and tomcat4 ) - maybe we can do a google search and link.

>    primary developers:
>      evolved from mod_jserv (see above)
>      Gal Shachor, IBM Research, Haifa Lab. refactored mod_jserv
>      many others?

Check the sources, there are plenty of names there :-)

>    works with:
>      servlet containers:
>        jserv?

Well, yes.

>        tomcat-3
>        tomcat-4
>      web servers:
>        domino
>        apache 1.3
>        apache 2.0?
>        netscape
>        others?

AOLServer ( not in the main tree ).

>    it's big thing:
>      production use

Also - it's the area/component of tomcat with the largest
number of individual commiters ( by my count at least ).
And more important - one of the things that 3.x and 4.x
share and seem to bring cooperation from both sides.

>    underlying protocol:
>      AJP, see mod_jserv
>      evolution:
>        AJP12, binary
>        AJP13, better SSL support. the current protocol.
>        AJP14, in testing. see "comments" below.

No ajp14 protocol - we agreed to stick with ajp13
as a wire protocol ( i.e. no extensions ). Additional
APIs will be added but the marshalling will stay the same.
My hope is that the next thing will be a standard
protocol.

>    special powers:
>      load balancing with both tomcat 3 and tomcat 4

Prety good OO model, good abstraction for server and protocol, etc.

>      <costinm@covalent.net>: "It works ( barely :-) with Apache2.x and
>      1.3. The connector for apache1.3 can be used as a basis for
>      updating IIS/iPlanet."

That's for mod_jk2 - and I think Nacho got the IIS done ( or close ).

>      <costinm@covalent.net> : "What we called "ajp14" are a set of new
>      APIs for config, shutdown, MD5 auth - added by Henri. Ajp14 API
>      is not 'released', and the current plan is to postpone it after
>      the first release of jk2"

And we should probably find a better name for it to avoid future
confusion between protocol and API.

>  webapp

>      web servers:
>        apache 1.3
>        others?

Apache2. I think they got IIS and iPlanet - don't know what level
of support.

>  coyote
>
>    why it was written:
>      ???

Lots of optimizations ( especially in 4.0 ), better abstractions,
etc.

>    status:
>      being phased in as default for tomcat 4.1

Will also be the main connector for 3.x ( at least for jk2, but
also http/1.1 )

>    works with:
>      servlet containers:
>       tomcat-3
>       tomcat-4
>      web servers:
>       using jk2: apache 1.3
>       apache 2.0 status?
>       others?

Coyote is the architecture for the java side - it supports
HTTP/1.1 ( as standalone )  and all servers that jk1 supports.

Coyote-jk is using ajp13 - so works with all jk versions.

>      operating systems:
>        ??
java.

>    primary developers: