tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From <cost...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: Using InstallAnywhere for Tomcat installer
Date Wed, 24 Apr 2002 16:54:20 GMT
On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, Christopher K.  St.  John wrote:

> flameproof suite and agree that I would prefer an OSS installer
> if at all possible.

Nobody disagree with that.

This is not an exclusive decision - we do ship RPM, .zip, .tar.gz,
NullSoft installer. Apache ships MSI, InstallShield.

If someone contributes the scripts to allow the use of an OSS installer
- we can add it to the list, and even make a note that we 'prefer' it.

I would be happy to see a WebStart installer for tomcat - even if it
is not 'OSS' ( there is an open source implementation, but JDK1.4 comes
bundled with the propritetary one ).

But what matters is what is easier for the user and what he prefers.
Choice is good.

Costin