tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Luca Ventura" <ventu...@libero.it>
Subject How can I install Tomcat 4.0 as a plug-in of IIS 5.1?
Date Thu, 18 Apr 2002 09:39:52 GMT

Hello!

My name is Luca Ventura and I am an italian student.
I have Microsoft IIS Web Server (5.1) on a PC with Win XP Professional
installed and JDK 1.4. I would like
to install Apache Tomcat 4.0 as a plug-in to support JSP and Servlets but
until now all my tries have been unsuccessful.

I have downloaded Tomcat 4.0 at URL:

http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/release/v4.0.3/bin/

I have downloaded the two versions of Tomacat:

jakarta-tomcat-4.0.3-LE-jdk14.exe (for JDK 1.4)
jakarta-tomcat-4.0.3.exe (for JDK 1.2+, it also contains other J2EE
libraries).

Then I have followed the instructions for installing Tomcat 4 as a plug-in
of ISS present at URL:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~lampante/howto/tomcat/iisnt/

and at URL:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-3.2-doc/tomcat-iis-howto.html

The problem is that when I start Tomcat and IIS and I try to access to a JSP
page I obtain the error showed by picture "error_tomcat.jpg", that I
inserted in attach.

The class "org.apache.tomcat.util.http.BaseRequest" is present in
"tomcat-util.jar" present in <dir_inst_tomcat4>\server\lib but it seems that
Tomcat doesn't find that package (and the method authorization() of the
class "BaseRequest"), but I don't know why. What must I do? Is there some
configuration file in Tomcat where must I set the .jar files to use? Or must
I insert them in the environment variable CLASSPATH?

Then I want to point out that I want to configure Tomcat not as an NT
service but I want to start it when I need accessing to "start menu" of
Windows.

I tried to use the isapi filter "isapi_redirector.dll" I found at:

http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/release/v4.0.3/bin/win32
/

instead of "isapi_redirect.dll" present in "tc4ntiis.zip" (you can download
it at url: http://members.ozemail.com.au/~lampante/howto/tomcat/iisnt/ ),
but the result is the same.

What can I do? Is there some can suggest to me some link I can use to
configure IIS and Tomcat 4 correctly? I have seen that in Jakarta web site
there are instructions to set Tomcat 3 with IIS but Tomcat 4 is very
different.

I pray you to tell me how to set all environments and configuration files of
Tomcat too :)

Thanks a lot in advance.
                                   Luca