tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Jason Corley" <Jason.Cor...@togethersoft.com>
Subject RE: logrotate and tomcat 3.3/4.0/4.1
Date Mon, 29 Apr 2002 15:57:44 GMT

I don't really know much about log4j, so I can't comment on that particular methodology, but
I'd been looking at implementing a logrotate for tomcat on my systems.  I was thinking something
like this for tomcat 3.3 (haven't looked at 4.x yet):

/var/log/tomcat3/jasper-*.log /var/log/tomcat3/servlet-*.log /var/log/tomcat3/tomcat.log {
	weekly
	notifempty
	missingok
	postrotate
		kill -HUP $(cat /var/log/tomcat3/tomcat.pid)
	endscript
}

Of course that's 3.3 specific and not even current 3.3 (3.3a instead of 3.3.1).  Would this
be what you're looking for (and would it even work :-)?
Jason

-----Original Message-----
From: GOMEZ Henri [mailto:hgomez@slib.fr]
Sent: Monday, April 29, 2002 11:47 AM
To: Tomcat Developers List
Subject: logrotate and tomcat 3.3/4.0/4.1

Hi to all,

Did there is plan to help implement logrotate
for Tomcat 3.3/4.0/4.1 ?

On production the logs could became very important
after weeks of use and should be cleanup.

The usual way under Unix is to use logrotate which
generally send a KILL -HUP/USR1 to the process which in
turn close its open logs files, and create new one.

The logrotate daemon then do the cleanup, renaming,
compression and so on.

What's the perspective for tomcat's ?

- Use log4j in cycle mode and avoid use
  of System.out / System.err ?

- Team up with jakarta-service to be able to
  catch up the signal and do what's needed ?

Regards