tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Pier Fumagalli <p...@betaversion.org>
Subject Re: logrotate and tomcat 3.3/4.0/4.1
Date Mon, 29 Apr 2002 17:00:18 GMT
"Ignacio J. Ortega" <nacho@siapi.es> wrote:

>> that those are not open by the JVM process...  Therefore the
>> best course of
>> action is doing like catalina does... Which already has a some-sort of
>> logrotate built in...
>
> And surprise!!, 3.3 it's suppoussed to have another logrotate inside,
> broken, but the code is there.. just need that someones have spare
> cycles to fix it..

Good... So what the heck are we complaining about? Log rotation should be
done in process, like all good software do (either by closing a file
descriptor and reopening a new one over the same file - I remind y'all that
if you "move" a file, whilst it's open by a process, the process won't even
see that move - or by changing the name...)

    Pier