tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Amy Roh <amy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Using InstallAnywhere for Tomcat installer
Date Wed, 24 Apr 2002 19:54:31 GMT
> This is not an exclusive decision - we do ship RPM, .zip, .tar.gz,
> NullSoft installer. Apache ships MSI, InstallShield.
>
> If someone contributes the scripts to allow the use of an OSS installer
> - we can add it to the list, and even make a note that we 'prefer' it.
>
> I would be happy to see a WebStart installer for tomcat - even if it
> is not 'OSS' ( there is an open source implementation, but JDK1.4 comes
> bundled with the propritetary one ).
>
> But what matters is what is easier for the user and what he prefers.
> Choice is good.

Agree.  I think giving users different options and have them decide which works
the best for them is good.

I'm +1 on this.  It's not like we'll be only shipping one InstallAnywhere
installer.  I don't see why it's negative to Tomcat or its users except the
philosophical argument that it's not OSS.

Amy