tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Duncan McLean" <duncan.mcl...@kingston.hummingbird.com>
Subject Re: Why is JDK needed to install Apache Tomcat 4.0 on WinNT?
Date Tue, 23 Apr 2002 13:50:02 GMT
Didn't Sun recently (with-in the last few months) free up the license on
tool.jar? It was my understanding that that jar file was the reason that you
need a jdk instead of a jre (for the compiler housed in tools.jar that is). I'm
not sure about the specifics of the license now, but couldn't tools.jar just be
put into the installer so a jre would be sufficient?

Bojan Smojver wrote:

> Maybe because TC compiles JSP's into classes and it needs javac for that, which
> is probably not part of the JRE.
>
> Bojan
>
> Quoting "Kiran Kumar N (RBIN/DCA-NMS)" <KiranKumar.N@in.bosch.com>:
>

>>I am trying to create a setup an application of mine for distribution
>>among my associates. But during the installation of Tomcat 4.0, it
>>initially
>>
>>checks if JDK is installed and if not, it exits the installation.
>>
>>Why does it need the JDK? All my target PCs have JREs installed. What
>>should
>>be
>>done to disable this check in Tomcat Setup. I am in need of a solution
>>this urgently.
>>Please help.
>>
>>Thanks and Best Regards,
>>nKiran