tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Duncan McLean" <>
Subject Re: Why is JDK needed to install Apache Tomcat 4.0 on WinNT?
Date Tue, 23 Apr 2002 13:50:02 GMT
Didn't Sun recently (with-in the last few months) free up the license on
tool.jar? It was my understanding that that jar file was the reason that you
need a jdk instead of a jre (for the compiler housed in tools.jar that is). I'm
not sure about the specifics of the license now, but couldn't tools.jar just be
put into the installer so a jre would be sufficient?