tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Christopher K. St. John" <>
Subject Re: Using InstallAnywhere for Tomcat installer
Date Wed, 24 Apr 2002 16:44:47 GMT
Kevin Grey wrote:
> So in essence it works on any platform that has a JVM.
 Nah, it only works fully on "officially supported" platforms.
Which makes sense, because the whole advantage of using a good
installer is that it paves over the nasty platform-specific
install issues. There's a list at:

 The key words are "Support for nearly every platform".

> InstallAnywhere is the best for Java apps, regardless of whether
> its proprietary or not.

 I won't argue, I've never heard a bad thing said about
InstallAnywhere. But totally ignoring ethical issues is a bad
long-term strategy. Certainly Tomcat wouldn't exist at all if
it weren't for people considering some philisophical issues.

 Costin's suggestion to try it out in parallel with some of the
Open Source options seemed pretty reasonable.

Christopher St. John

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message