tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Bojan Smojver <>
Subject RE: logrotate and tomcat 3.3/4.0/4.1
Date Tue, 30 Apr 2002 09:13:28 GMT
Quoting GOMEZ Henri <>:

> Whaou.
> Didn't now about copytruncate option of logrotate.

It has some downsides too. But it's documented in the manual page, so everyone
should know what to expect.

> Under Linux there is truncate and ftruncate calls
> but I wonder how it works regarding OS ?

Not sure what you mean here exactly, but here is the text from the manual page
that explains what happens:

              Truncate the original log file in place after  cre­-
              ating  a  copy,  instead of moving the old log file
              and optionally creating a new one, It can  be  used
              when some program can not be told to close its log­
              file and thus might continue writing (appending) to
              the  previous log file forever.  Note that there is
              a very small time slice between  copying  the  file
              and  truncating  it,  so some logging data might be
              lost.  When this option is used, the create  option
              will  have  no effect, as the old log file stays in

> I'll add this to all my tomcat rpm ASAP....

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message