tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Remy Maucherat" <>
Subject Using InstallAnywhere for Tomcat installer
Date Tue, 23 Apr 2002 21:33:33 GMT
I have been contacted by Zero G Software with the possibility of using
InstallAnywhere for making a Tomcat installer.

Tomcat currently uses NSIS for the Windows installer, and while it is
powerful enough to get the job done, it is not multiplatform, and has a few
annoying functional limitations. However, there's a major advantage to using
NSIS, because it is open-source software. To get around this, Zero G has
offered to donate a license of InstallAnywhere to Tomcat, as well as
installer code.

If we decide to use InstallAnywhere, it would probably be a good idea to put
the installer code in a separate repository (jakarta-tomcat-installer ?),
and also move the NSIS script there. The rationale is that while a NSIS
install script is very small (one file, plus a few resources), an
InstallAnywhere script is made of a significant number of Java classes.

Of course, I don't see a reason for stopping to use the (already working)
NSIS script, at least in the immediate future.

Comments / votes ?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message