tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Remy Maucherat" <>
Subject Re: TomCat web-server : problem with Japanese chars
Date Tue, 16 Apr 2002 13:51:39 GMT
> The Web-server of TomCat does not appear to be able to resolve URLs that
> contain non-ASCII characters (e.g. Japanese language) correctly for all
> cases. We have a Win'2000 (Japanese OS) machine on which TomCat 4 is
> installed.
> If some URL contains Japanese characters like :
> http://localhost:8080/myapp/servlet/myservlet?name=<myname>
> Here if myname is a Japanese string, it works fine because within the
> servlet myservlet, we have set the encoding type to SHIFT_JIS before
> the request parameters (a feature of Servlet 2.3 API)
> But for a URL like :
> http://localhost:8080/myapp/<myname>.gif
> this does not work if myname is a Japanese string and the server responds
> with a 'resource not found' error.
> So is this a bug in TomCat or is there any solution we can implement for
> this ?

There is no established standard for URL char encoding, so it won't work in
the real world.

Tomcat (with Coyote) now defaults to UTF-8, which is the probable future
standard. If the client encodes with some other charset (99% of the time, it
will use the platform encoding instead), it won't work.
Looking at the content-type to try to "be smart" is a possibility, but is
also non standard.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message