tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Remy Maucherat" <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Question about jsp/servlet performance
Date Sun, 28 Apr 2002 07:31:44 GMT
> Hi,
>
> As i tested, the jsp/servlet performance of Tomcat 4.0
> is only 50%-70% of Tomcat 3.3. Can any expert tell me
> what causes it? Http processing, request mapping or
> something else? I may integrate Tomcat 4.0 into our
> system so I should be aware of its reason and possible
> ways to improve it.

You can try using Coyote HTTP/1.1 to replace the default HTTP/1.1 connector.
You can also try to use Jasper 2 intead of Jasper 1 (TC 3.3 has ways to get
around the performance problems in the Jasper servlet, and so doesn't need
the performance optimizations).
Also, you should disable the access log valve (enabled in Tomcat 4.0.x,
disabled in Tomcat 3.3 and Tomcat 4.1.x).

You can test the 4.1.0 build to get a better idea on performance using all
the changes mentioned above.

Remy