tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Remy Maucherat" <r...@apache.org>
Subject [TC 4.next] Changes to the default configuration
Date Thu, 11 Apr 2002 09:27:33 GMT
I'd like to propose some changes to the default configuration file which
will be used for the next Tomcat 4 (and which is currently in the CVS HEAD
branch).

A working copy of the file is attached.

The changes are:
- disable access logging by default (rationale: it's slow and many people
don't need it; it's more privacy-friendly; a lot of servers disable it by
default)
- enable JMX by default (rationale: we have an OSS implementation - MX4J -
which works well)
- the default set of connectors enabled are:
  - Coyote HTTP/1.1, supporting HTTP/0.9, HTTP/1.0 (with keepalives),
HTTP/1.1 on port 8080
  - Coyote JK 2, supporting AJP 1.4 on port 8009
- some examples for various other connectors
- support for Webapp and the old JK 1 connector are disabled by default
(rationale: they will not be as well supported as the newer JK 2 connector
on 4.next)

Obviously, you can vote/comment on individual changes.

Note: Those changes will probably break things in next few nightly builds;
no need to file bugs from failed tests which are from the existing test
suites (Watchdog and the tester); we'll test it and fix it eventually.

Remy