tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Remy Maucherat" <>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-4.0/jasper/src/bin jasper.bat
Date Mon, 01 Apr 2002 17:43:21 GMT
> Costin,
> The problem with the default JVM behavior can cause your application to
> crash or behave in unexpected ways if there are incompatible jars
> installed in the jre/lib/ext directory.
> The method that we are using is still compliant with the JDK
> documentation in that we are using the documented way over overriding
> the extensions via setting the "java.ext.dirs" property at startup. This
> also the same type of override mechanism for the endorsed directories in
> JDK 1.4.
> The only feature we are adding is the ability to add your extensions
> back at the end of the classloader's search list.
> I am definitely not in favor of just letting the jre/lib/ext directory
> sit at the front of the classloader's search list as that makes Tomcat
> very sensitive (read breakable) due to the user's JVM configuration.
> Hence, I believe that the "java.ext.dirs=" property setting should
> remain. As to whether we should try to add back the extensions at the
> end of the classloader's search list, I am not too picky about.
> My first concern is that Tomcat always can at least run no matter what
> extensions that user has installed. Whether or not those extensions are
> accessible to Tomcat is, IMHO, a feature that we may or may not want to
> include.

Fine, but your change creates problems (Jasper does not work on JDK 1.4
unless you delete common/endorsed/xerces.jar). I don't know why at this
time, but it should be fixed ASAP.

(Note: I don't care too much about this functionality ... Adding another CL
layer is dangerous and makes CL slower; unless other people think this is
useful I don't think we should add the feature)

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message