tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Andreas Junghans" <>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat/src/share/org/apache/tomcat/modules/generators
Date Tue, 16 Apr 2002 11:13:15 GMT
Hi Remy,

> I actually tried the test case (I guess I should have tried it before
> and it didn't do what I thought it would do. This does not qualify as a
> security issue by my book, though (it is recommended to test your
> application before putting it in production).

Now I have a simple question: Do you think this is a Tomcat bug or not?

About the security issue (or not): We _did_ test our application. We just
didn't expect that a working JSP would change its behaviour just because we
include it from another one! Also think about third party components. If you
have a third party JSP that does a forward, you can never be sure it works
within an include. The bottom line is: JSPs should _never_ be served as
static content (except an application explicitly changes the .jsp mapping or
serves it itself). Everything else is at least a bug. Sorry for repeating
this again and again, but Orion and Resin don't have this issue and I'd love
to fix Tomcat provided I get some positive feedback regarding my proposed

Best regards

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message