tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Remy Maucherat" <>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-connectors/http11/src/java/org/apache/coyote/http11
Date Fri, 12 Apr 2002 14:24:15 GMT
> There are bugs that never die :))
> Checked code and 3.2 is correct, 3.3 and coyote not, 4.0 original
> processor not checked, i think this is the third time i talk about the
> same, may be this is the third connector generation that jakarta-tomcat
> project does? ;)
> Larry we need to fix that ASAP, in 3.3 tree at least..
> Just now 3.3 connector is defaulting to socket port, whena port is not
> present in the host header, we need to default to 80, and only use tyhe
> socket port in case of no Host Header..

Let me set that thing clearly.

In HTTP/1.0, looking at the Host header is non standard. We can look at it
if it is there (and I believe we do; if we don't it is very simple to change
that), but in the end the HTTP/1.0 protocol is inefficient broken in many
many ways, and it's not Tomcat's job to fix it. If NAT doesn't work with
HTTP/1.0, then it is the protocol's fault. I don't know any client these
days which wouldn't use HTTP/1.1 in its header anyway.
In HTTP/1.1, we *only* look at the host header (so it works fine).

I see a lot of noise from you about this trivial issue. Is there something I
missed ?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message