tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: Resend: SSL portability and Coyote
Date Sat, 27 Apr 2002 02:22:35 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric Rescorla" <ekr@rtfm.com>
To: "Tomcat Developers List" <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, April 26, 2002 5:38 PM
Subject: Re: Resend: SSL portability and Coyote

> "Bill Barker" <wbarker@wilshire.com> writes:
> > Also, somebody in o.a.c.tomcat4 needs to fire the
ACTION_REQ_SSL_ATTRIBUTE
> > action.  That's the Coyote replacement for CertificateValve.
> Ah. Can you give me the 10,000 overview on how ATTRIBUTES work (or
> point me to the right location)?

I assume you mean actions.  They are defined in o.a.c.ActionCode, and
processed by somebody implementing o.a.c.ActionHook (both under the "coyote"
directory).  For the HTTP/1.1 connector, this is
o.a.c.http11.Http11Processor (under the "http11" directory).  The usual way
to fire them is to call o.a.c.Response.action (which is conventionally named
"coyoteResponse").  For the SSL action, the second parameter is the
o.a.c.Request.

This is mostly working, except that I couldn't find how to get the keySize
for PureTLS (so PureTLSSupport is currently returning null).

> I can arrange for this to get called, but I'm not even sure where
> to look to arrange it.

I'm not sure either, which is why I'm talking about it instead of doing it
:).  My guess would be o.a.c.tomcat4.CoyoteAdapter.postParseRequest.
However, the current Catalina code is doing it much much later.  I'm pretty
sure that you can't get the 3.3.x behavior of "only when asked for" without
a lot of changes in Catalina (this is more a reflection of spec changes
between 2.2 & 2.3 than design).