tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From <cost...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Tomcat 4.0.4 Beta 2 / Coyote 1.0 Beta 4 release
Date Fri, 22 Mar 2002 21:13:36 GMT
On Fri, 22 Mar 2002, Remy Maucherat wrote:

> > > below). The Coyote connector will *not* be enabled by default, but will
> > > appear commented out in the default server.xml configuration file.
> >
> > +1 on enabling it by default, commenting out the old connector.
>
> I didn't propose to do that, because, although the new connector appears
> robust and stable, there's the risk that it would have new bugs, or, even
> worse, (re)introduce some security problems. I took great care of adding all
> the URL normalization code from the old connector, so that it shouldn't
> happen, but I'd say it would still be a significant risk to make it the
> default without some extensive beta period. Since there will be such a beta
> period for 4.1, I think it is a lot safer to postpone making it the default
> for now.
>
> Comments ?

The code is clearly better and cleaner than the old connector, that means
more maintainable and easier to fix and review - if there's any problem.
And cleaner code is usually more secure :-)

But I agree it's safer to do it gradually, however I hope 4.0.5 and
3.3.2 will have coyote as the default connector.

Costin