tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From <cost...@covalent.net>
Subject RE: mod_jk2 config
Date Mon, 04 Mar 2002 16:54:50 GMT
On Mon, 4 Mar 2002, GOMEZ Henri wrote:

> >uri.servletName:/my.host.com:8080/examples/HelloW=HelloWorldServlet
>
> Could we get these translation from web.xml forwarded by Ajp14
> autoconf feature ?

We should get these from web.xml - either extracted directly or
by extracting the info from tomcat.

The information can be passed to jk via ajp14 ( wire ), or
properties, or other methods.

I don't think we can support ajp14 for the first release of
jk2, the goal is to replace the old connector with one
with the same features, but better interfaces ( and easier
config, faster, etc ). We can add ajp14 later.

> >With this jk will pass the servlet name to tomcat and eliminate the
> >second mapping, like mod_jserv did.
>
> Why not just use :
>
> JkAutoMount webapp worker
>
> => get all mapping for a particular webapp for a worker

There are 2 problems:
- it requires tomcat to be started before apache
- it's very tricky to even describe how this would work in a
complex configuration ( multiple tomcats, multiple apache servers,
etc).

We'll add (back) this after we stabilize the code and release
the first version ( and figure out how to do it ).

BTW, I was thinking of separating the config protocol from
normal ajp - the config is clearly not perf. critical ( no need
for a binary protocol ). Instead of extending ajp13, we
can have a simple ajp13 request to

   /jk2/servlet/autoConf?webapp=/examples

( done by a jk2 autoConfig worker ). That would return a
normal response, with the body beeing a properties file
in the same format as the one generated.

The implementation is very simple ( most of the code
already exists ), and would allow much easier programming,
regular servlets - maybe with some container-specific code,
for java ( like the manager or admin ), very little
change in the C side.

> What about jk-status which should present state of jk connections
> and informations ?

It's 'work in progress'. I want to get at least the basic things
we had in jserv - especially for lb and worker status, plus
some of the 'stop sending requests to this lb worker',
'add/remove a lb worker to the pool'.

> Also are we agree in adding a REQUEST flag to LogLevel to be able
> to track the query/reply timestamp ?

+1

In addition some mgmt info in all objects - how many requests
were served with each worker ( a simple ++ ), total/average
time, number of errors, etc. Some may be enabled by
default ( counters have minimal impact on perf. ), some
with config ( if it requires calling system methods,
like get time, etc ).

getProperty() in each jk2 object is supposed to allow
easy access to this information from the status worker
or other means.

Costin