tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "GOMEZ Henri" <hgo...@slib.fr>
Subject RE: mod_jk2 config
Date Mon, 11 Mar 2002 23:06:41 GMT
>> Yes, and we had all to relearn it :-)
>
>You already know me, as long as nobody complains ( and -1 )
>I move on until I'm happy enough with the design.

And that's fine :)

>Jk was already 'object oriented C', I just enhanced that
>and tried to clean up a bit.

And it works well, better design and working implementation

>> >For refresh - again, I would prefer an explicit control, maybe
>> >using the status worker ( or a config worker ) - you can deploy a
>> >new app on a dozen of workers, and then refresh the apache config.
>>
>> Arg, you'll see we'll have to create a nice WEB interface for this.
>> IBM does a superb job in their AS/400 implementation with a cool
>> UI creating workers/in-process/out-process tomcats,
>something I'd like
>> to see in jk2 and may be via a new jkconfig worker....
>
>The best UI for configuration is xemacs ( or vi ) :-)

May be for experienced users/admins, but this kind of tools are
one of the reason IT managers choose products like websphere
because they fill it will be easier to manage.

>Seriously - the properties file doesn't have to be visible to the
>user, it's just a format that is easy to parse on the C side
>and easy to generate/edit from java ( by a GUI, deploy tool, etc).
>
>KDE, Gnome, etc are using this kind of stuff without problems.
>The win registry is much worse, but still has a similar model -
>a hierarchical-named key/value.

Agree

>I love XML, and I could probably write expat code - but I don't
>think it's a complexity we need. A much better/simpler solution
>would be to have a XML config file and a simple xsl ( or just
>java xmlmapper/digester ) to generate the properties.

Yes

>I also think the _best_ solution to generate urimap.properties
>is not what we use in 3.3 ( the interceptor extracting info
>from inside tomcat), but a standalone tool ( eventually
>ant-scriptable )
>that transforms web.xml directly ( == a deploy tool independent
>of tomcat ).

Good idea

>Ant is obviously an excelent driver for this, but needs some work.
>
>Let's try to wrap up the first release of jk2 with minimal
>additional features ( i.e. don't let me change too much more :-)

+1

>I still want to finish the setProperty() changes and allow the
>channel to be configured independently of worker ( it's cleaner,
>simpler - and similar with what we do in the java side of jk ).
>
>And I'll start to run end-to-end watchdog tests to make sure
>jk2/java is fine.
>
>My proposal is to first release jk2/java, as a replacement for
>the current jk connector/jk interceptor ( using mod_jk1 ).

ok

>Then we can release mod_jk2 for apache2.0/1.3, and maybe
>finish the iis/nes updates.

what's the status of iis/nes/domino ?

>We are pretty close, the 'core' stuff is in a decent shape,
>and all extra features can be refined and updated in future
>releases.
>
>> >I think Apache has some time() function called ( so it can log the
>> >total time ). We can use it, and call the system if we want to
>> >tune our stuff ( but not in the default config, only if enabled
>> >and maybe per uri )
>>
>> I was thinking about a faster time() alternative, there was hacks
>
>I think for now it is enough to have an option on the uri to
>enable counting, and use the system time. It's not an essential
>feature or something that should be enabled in production mode
>for all pages, it's maingly for tuning.

Exact, it will be used only on LOGREQUEST mode. Which make me
think that we could have this one in a + mode.

JkLogLevel info + request

instead of

JkLogLevel request