tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Fabien Nisol <nisol.fab...@hydro.qc.ca>
Subject bug in catalina.sh
Date Fri, 22 Mar 2002 18:57:44 GMT
Hello,

I noticed a bug in catalina.sh that make some of us have problem starting
tomcat. The common error is that a message

usage: java org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina [ -config {pathname} ] [
-debug ] [ -nonaming ] { start | stop }

is printed in $CATALINA_HOME/logs/catalina.out

I began to look at this problem and I finally found the bug:

The problem is that at every line where catalina is started ("$_RUNJAVA
..."), command line arguments that are passed to the catalina.sh script are
passed using "$_RUNJAVA" <javaargs> <catalinaClass> "$@" <command> (quotes

included) ... The problem : When only one argument is passed to the VM , in
Catalina.main(String args[]), args are { "" , <command> } and not {
<command> } ... ( starting catalina.sh start means starting "java

big problem in Catalina.arguments(String[] args) where the argument ""
(empty string) is not recognised and issues an error on stdout...

I think the problem could be corrected by replacing all "$@" (with quotes)
occurence by $@ (without quotes) in catalina.sh

Are you ok with this or am I missing something??

Fabien Nisol
java Developer/Analyst consultant