tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Remy Maucherat" <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: servlet.jar, /ext, MANIFEST.MF
Date Mon, 01 Apr 2002 07:28:00 GMT
> Christopher,
>
> I just committed the changes to the jakarta-tomcat-4.0 HEAD branch. Can
> you give it a try?
>
> With these changes, Tomcat should load its own bundled jar and class
> files before any of the jar files in the JDK's installed extensions are
> loaded.
>
> I tested this by putting servlet.jar in my JDK's jre/lib/ext directory
> and then inserted a broken version of the javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet
>   class (my broken version extended Object and had no methods) into the
> jar so that if the servlet.jar in the JDK's jre/lib/ext directory is
> used, Tomcat will throw tons of exceptions.

I get a classcast on JAXP with those changes on JDK 1.4 (fixed by removing
Xerces from endorsed).
Getting the CL to work right is tricky, and I'm not terribly interested in
supporting playing with the system extensions. So unless it is easy to fix,
I'm not sure it's a good idea to go through the whole debugging process for
the CL *again*.

Remy