tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "GOMEZ Henri" <hgo...@slib.fr>
Subject RE: Apache+SSL+mod_jk cache control headers issue
Date Wed, 27 Feb 2002 10:22:13 GMT
>I can't download pdf,doc,xls ... file with IE through an
>HTTPS+BasicAuth
>connexion.
>IE----SSL+Basic
>Auth------>Apache+mod_jk------------ajp13-------->tomcat4.0.2
>
>I got an error as described in
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q196505.

There is real problem with IE in SSL mode, and
particulary downloading pdf document where you
have to play with headers between IE 4, IE 5 and IE 6.

>This is due to HTTP cache control headers returned by tomcat.
>When a page is
>downloaded with an authentication, the HTTP server set cache
>control headers
>(Pragma, Cache-Control, Expires) to avoid proxies to cache the
>page.In such
>case, this gives something like that :
>
>HTTP/1.1 200 OK
>Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 16:20:32 GMT
>Pragma: No-cache
>Server: Apache Tomcat/4.0.2 (HTTP/1.1 Connector)
>Cache-Control: no-cache
>Last-Modified: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 16:13:27 GMT
>ETag: "111219-1014740007000"
>Expires: Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
>
>When the page is downloaded through an HTTPS connexions, those
>cache control
>headers are not more needed because the document is encrypted
>! Through the
>mod_jk connector (even with JkExtractSSL directive), tomcat
>always set cache
>control headers when Authentication is done.
>
>I have done some tests with Apache. Cache control headers are
>not set when
>using SSL and Authentication and I have no problem with IE to
>download .pdf,
>.doc etc ...
>So, there might be something to correct in the Ajp13 connector...

Yes, we have to detect we're on a secure connection and remove
the cache control headers. Seems to be implemented in Tomcat
rather in mod_jk/ajp13 since the same behaviour is required
in java http connector in secure mode.

Could you try to use mod_jk from jakarta-tomcat-connectors against
TC 3.3 and TC 4.0.2 ?