tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "GOMEZ Henri" <>
Subject RE: Apache+SSL+mod_jk cache control headers issue
Date Wed, 27 Feb 2002 10:22:13 GMT
>I can't download pdf,doc,xls ... file with IE through an
>I got an error as described in

There is real problem with IE in SSL mode, and
particulary downloading pdf document where you
have to play with headers between IE 4, IE 5 and IE 6.

>This is due to HTTP cache control headers returned by tomcat.
>When a page is
>downloaded with an authentication, the HTTP server set cache
>control headers
>(Pragma, Cache-Control, Expires) to avoid proxies to cache the
>page.In such
>case, this gives something like that :
>HTTP/1.1 200 OK
>Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 16:20:32 GMT
>Pragma: No-cache
>Server: Apache Tomcat/4.0.2 (HTTP/1.1 Connector)
>Cache-Control: no-cache
>Last-Modified: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 16:13:27 GMT
>ETag: "111219-1014740007000"
>Expires: Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
>When the page is downloaded through an HTTPS connexions, those
>cache control
>headers are not more needed because the document is encrypted
>! Through the
>mod_jk connector (even with JkExtractSSL directive), tomcat
>always set cache
>control headers when Authentication is done.
>I have done some tests with Apache. Cache control headers are
>not set when
>using SSL and Authentication and I have no problem with IE to
>download .pdf,
>.doc etc ...
>So, there might be something to correct in the Ajp13 connector...

Yes, we have to detect we're on a secure connection and remove
the cache control headers. Seems to be implemented in Tomcat
rather in mod_jk/ajp13 since the same behaviour is required
in java http connector in secure mode.

Could you try to use mod_jk from jakarta-tomcat-connectors against
TC 3.3 and TC 4.0.2 ?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message