tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net>
Subject Re: Tomcat 4 JDBCRealm Connection Pooling
Date Wed, 13 Feb 2002 17:53:52 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> > On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, Glenn Nielsen wrote:
> >
> > Hi Glenn,
> >
> > Personally, I like the latter idea better (a new JDBCRealm implementation
> > that uses a JNDI named data source) to avoid disruption of existing
> > applications.
>
> Yes, I agree.
> Internal Catalina components can now use JNDI in the HEAD branch. So the
> DataSource could be defined in GlobalNamingResources, and the realm should
> be able to use it. This DataSource could be shared by more components.

A global JDBC DataSource for Realms may work for some,
but when virtual hosting websites and applications
for different customers I need a different Realm for each customer.
That way each customer has their own name space for userid's and roles.

In addition I use a different DataSource for normal customer dB
application data and realm data.  The separation of these data sources
makes sure that a customer application can't be spoofed somehow to
compromise the entries in the db for a realm.

Regards,

Glenn