tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <>
Subject Re: JMX Support in Tomcat 4
Date Mon, 11 Feb 2002 16:02:22 GMT

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, mark wrote:

> Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 10:37:39 -0500
> From: mark <>
> Subject: JMX Support in Tomcat 4
> Hello All,
> Just grabbed one of the tomcat 4 nightly builds (feb10) in an effort to
> explore the JMX support and some of the new admin features and am not
> having much luck. I unpacked it, uncommented the line to add the JMX
> listener in server.xml and after executing the start script, I end up
> with the error message below, any ideas? What is it looking for in terms
> of a 'userDatabase' and where should this be located?

A couple of things to check:

* There should have been two <Listener> elements that you
  uncommented, not just one.  Was that the case?

* Do you have a JMX JAR file (either jmx.jar from the JMX Reference
  implementation or openjmx.jar from OpenJMX) in your server/lib
  directory?  We're not shipping with it by default, although now that
  OpenJMX has released their beta 2 version that works, we should.

* If you want to play with the administration application (which uses
  JMX for all of its update operations, add a user with the "admin"
  role to conf/tomcat-users.xml and log in to:

> Thanks!
> Mark
> PS: I'm running this under cygwin on win2k if that matters?!?

I run it mostly under Linux, but I know others do so under win2k.

Craig McClanahan

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message