tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Guillaume Rousse <rou...@ccr.jussieu.fr>
Subject Re: Major problem with Sun External Jar : RE: [Tomcat 4.0.2-b2] Java binaries uploaded
Date Thu, 24 Jan 2002 16:53:23 GMT
Ainsi parlait Craig R. McClanahan :
[..]
> > Thanks to explain us why ?
>
> Because that's what the "Redistribution" paragraph of the license that you
> had to click through says you can do and not do.  (See why it's a good
> idea to actually *read* these things?  :-)
AFAK, the part of the Sun Binary License relevant to distribution is (and
more precisely starts from (b)):

1. License to Distribute. Sun grants you a non-exclusive,
non-transferable, royalty-free, limited license to (a) use
the binary form of the Software for the sole purpose of
designing, developing and testing your JavaTM applets and
applications intended to run on a compatible Java
environment (the "Programs"), provided that the Programs
add significant and primary functionality to the Software,
and (b) reproduce and distribute the binary form of the
Software through multiple tiers of distribution provided
that you: (i) distribute the Software complete and
unmodified; (ii) do not distribute additional software
intended to supersede any component(s) of the Software;
(iii) do not remove or alter any proprietary
legends or notices contained in or on the Software; and
(iv) only distribute the Software pursuant to a license
agreement that protects Sun's interests consistent with the
terms contained in this Agreement, and provides that Sun is
a third party beneficiary to such license agreement. If you
distribute the Software pursuant to this paragraph, you
must include the following statement as part of product
documentation (whether hard copy or electronic), as a
part of a copyright page or proprietary rights notice
page, in an "About" box or in any other form reasonably
designed to make the statement visible to users of the
Software:  "This product includes code licensed from
RSA Data Security".

I don't see anything concerning separate distribution here.
There are some minor points where we could be considered violating this
license:
- we don't ship redudant jars (i)
- we don't ship basic launch scripts (i)
- we replace them by complete ones (ii)

And the non-distributable section only contains package specification, not
actual code, so i guess it is not concerned here.
--
Guillaume Rousse <rousse@ccr.jussieu.fr>
GPG key http://lis.snv.jussieu.fr/~rousse/gpgkey.html