tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Major problem with Sun External Jar : RE: [Tomcat 4.0.2-b2] Java binaries uploaded
Date Thu, 24 Jan 2002 16:39:34 GMT

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, GOMEZ Henri wrote:

> Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 17:04:36 +0100
> From: GOMEZ Henri <hgomez@slib.fr>
> To: Tomcat Developers List <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Major problem with Sun External Jar : RE: [Tomcat 4.0.2-b2] Java
>     binaries uploaded
>
> >> I've got a little problems with all the jars that are
> >> mandatory to build TC 4.0, javamail, jta, jdbc-ext, jmxri.
> >>
> >> tyrex is allready packaged and JSSE is only optional.
> >>
> >> Could someone, may be from Sun staff, could release all of
> >> them in a single tarball and put it on the download area ?
> >>

> >This isn't allowed under the license through which these JARs are
> >downloaded.  You can package them with your own distribution
> >(as we do in
> >the .tar.gz and .exe distros of Tomcat 4), but not separately.
>
> I'd like to clarify. I could have activation, javamail, jdbc-ext,
> jndi, jta, which are Sun products, included in a Tomcat tarball
> but couldn't have them included in a separate tarball ?

Yes.

> Thanks to explain us why ?

Because that's what the "Redistribution" paragraph of the license that you
had to click through says you can do and not do.  (See why it's a good
idea to actually *read* these things?  :-)

> I allready removed the problematic stuff from jpackage project
> but I'd like to have a simple explanation of what to do with
> Sun jars.
>
> The question is, should Apache host projects which depend
> on non OSS APIs which are entirely under Sun control (Jon/Pier ?)
>
> We should feel much more confortable with projects like
> puretls/cryptix and openjmx. Hope to see an OSS alternative
> to javamail and jta....

I'm sure Tomcat would be happy to ship with such alternatives (as we
already do for openjmx on the HEAD branch).

Craig