tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Interceptor in Tomcat 4.0 ???
Date Tue, 22 Jan 2002 19:16:36 GMT

On Tue, 22 Jan 2002, Renato wrote:

> Date: Tue Jan 22 16:57:45 2002
> From: Renato <webmaster@cienciapura.com.br>
> To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org, tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Interceptor in Tomcat 4.0 ???
>
> Hi all,
>
> I have an Interceptor I wrote for Tomcat 3.3 and I want to migrate to
> Catalina. I think the concept know is a Valve, right ?

That's probably the right concept to look at, depending on what you are
using your interceptor for.  You can see lots of examples of Valve
implementations in the org.apache.catalina.authenticator and
org.apache.catalina.valves packages in the Tomcat 4 source tree.

> Is there a guideline
> how to migrate an interceptor ?

Because the processing models are very different (interceptors call your
module lots of times for different events, while a valve is called once
and you pass the request on or not as appropriate), there is not going to
be much in the way of useful porting advice -- depending on what your
interceptor is doing, it will be anywhere from trivially easy to something
that requires multiple valves to accomplish the same functionality.
Without details, it's not possible to be more specific.

> Thanks
> Renato - Brazil.

Craig