tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Sojan <ilikeu...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: The problem with "/"
Date Tue, 22 Jan 2002 02:30:43 GMT

Thank you for your hint!

Now I understand, that with my setting:

----------------------------------
<servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>MyMainServlet</servlet-name>
    <url-pattern>/</url-pattern>
 </servlet-mapping>
----------------------------------

I override the default configuration which is:

----------------------------------
 <servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>default</servlet-name>
    <url-pattern>/</url-pattern>
  </servlet-mapping>
----------------------------------

If I want to handle all requests for non-existent resources with
my "MyMainServlet" and all static-existent (non-servlet) resources
with "DefaultServlet", your solution should work If I can forsee
every type of static resource I will offer in my webapp.

So I would have to write mappings for *.gif, *.jpg, *.png, *.pdf,
*.bla, and so on. I think the way the spec handles this issue, is
that if I do a mapping on "/", then requests for static-existent
content would still be served by the container without invoking
my MyMainServlet. However since the tomcat solution is to handle
static content with a DefaultServlet, I will always loose this
functionality when I override the "/" mapping with my own servlet.

Any suggestions for a workaround!?
Thx
Peter