tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Multi-Byte Support.
Date Thu, 03 Jan 2002 19:21:50 GMT

On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, Thom Park wrote:

> Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 09:26:02 -0800
> From: Thom Park <tpark@borland.com>
> To: tomcat Developers List <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Multi-Byte Support.
>
> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm working on a product that uses Tomcat 4.0.1. I've had reports of
> problems with Tomcat 4.0.1 with multi-byte character sets
> particularly Traditional Chinese.
>
> Can anyone give me a plain answer on what the policy is on such support?
> Is tomcat 4.x intended to support multi-byte character sets
> or do I have to roll me sleeves up and get cracking and roll my own support?
>
> Any guidance on these matters would be greatly appreciated as my
> experience of  'internationalization' isn't great.

I think about the only generic statement you can make is something like
this:  Tomcat 4.x is intended to support the internationalization
requirements outlined in the Servlet and JSP specifications, and the
underlying other specifications that they rely on (such as HTTP/1.1).

That being said, there have definitely been bug reports against the
internationalization support -- some of which were valid (and have been
fixed), and some of which were based on misunderstandings of the spec
requirements.  I don't see any outstanding I18N related issues in the bug
reports database.

The only way to address specific issues is to have a specific case where
you believe that there is still a problem.  Testing against the 4.0.2-rc1
code, or the latest nightly build, would be best to avoid running into
issues that have already been addressed (4.0.2 will be out "real soon
now").

> thanks,
>
> Thom

Craig McClanahan