tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From <cost...@covalent.net>
Subject RE: Jk2: jkctl handler
Date Thu, 13 Dec 2001 16:53:11 GMT
On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, GOMEZ Henri wrote:

> >The most important feature ( for now ) will be the handling of 'ping',
> >where mod_jk will connect to any worker it knows about and send a ping
> >message.
>
> could you explain us more about ping ?

Jk now has a 'ping' message type, which replaces the login and discovery
messages.

It will send the 'ping' as the first packet when it opens the connection,
and also every time it is asked for ( or even periodically ). The ping
will be equivalent with an empty request - it will 'switch roles',
allowing tomcat to send messages and get/set information.

For example, tomcat can send a 'loginSeed' packet and request md5 auth. Or
it can request a different auth method. Then it can send uriMaps or
contextStatus messages.

The C side is very simple ( and clear - I hope ) - adding new message
handlers require just  adding a C file and adding it to the registry. See
the processCallbacks method in workerEnv.

Ping will get an 'ok' response, signaling tomcat is ok - but before the ok
message tomcat can update anything else or request anything.

> >Opinions ? Votes ( I'm looking for +1s == I will help :-)
>
> Seems good, what's the help you need there ?

Right now the most important thing is to make sure jk2 builds and works
as good as ( or better than ) jk1.
Then we have to port the other server connectors ( apache13, iis, etc ).
I want to finish ( or at least 'freeze' ) jk2 refactoring ( or at least
the first round ) in few days - but I also want to sleep, so any contribution would
be great - testing, updating connectors, implementing the 'jkctl' ( or
parts of it )...

Costin