tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From <>
Subject RE: Jk2: jkctl handler
Date Thu, 13 Dec 2001 16:53:11 GMT
On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, GOMEZ Henri wrote:

> >The most important feature ( for now ) will be the handling of 'ping',
> >where mod_jk will connect to any worker it knows about and send a ping
> >message.
> could you explain us more about ping ?

Jk now has a 'ping' message type, which replaces the login and discovery

It will send the 'ping' as the first packet when it opens the connection,
and also every time it is asked for ( or even periodically ). The ping
will be equivalent with an empty request - it will 'switch roles',
allowing tomcat to send messages and get/set information.

For example, tomcat can send a 'loginSeed' packet and request md5 auth. Or
it can request a different auth method. Then it can send uriMaps or
contextStatus messages.

The C side is very simple ( and clear - I hope ) - adding new message
handlers require just  adding a C file and adding it to the registry. See
the processCallbacks method in workerEnv.

Ping will get an 'ok' response, signaling tomcat is ok - but before the ok
message tomcat can update anything else or request anything.

> >Opinions ? Votes ( I'm looking for +1s == I will help :-)
> Seems good, what's the help you need there ?

Right now the most important thing is to make sure jk2 builds and works
as good as ( or better than ) jk1.
Then we have to port the other server connectors ( apache13, iis, etc ).
I want to finish ( or at least 'freeze' ) jk2 refactoring ( or at least
the first round ) in few days - but I also want to sleep, so any contribution would
be great - testing, updating connectors, implementing the 'jkctl' ( or
parts of it )...

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message