tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From <>
Subject JK2: Configuration(1)
Date Thu, 06 Dec 2001 22:17:15 GMT
Please reply - this is an important change !

I would like to add another configuration mechanism for jk2.
If people agree, this should be the default.

- All webapplication that will be served must be
deployed on the machine running the web server (
otherwise the server can't find the static files )

- It is possible you run a load-balanced server and
you may ( or not ) have tomcats on the server machine.

- Minimal user configuration for 'simple' case.
Advanced users will still have full power to override.

Via ( or httpd.conf ) we'llspecify the path to webapps/
directory ( one or many ) and the 'style' ( flat or vhost ).

mod_jk will use the same logic as tomcat to find all subdirs,
and automatically add the contexts. ( using 'global' mappings )

In addition, for each webapplication jk will check
If the file exists, it'll contain per/webapp mappings
( without the context prefix ) == an easy to parse
form of what's in web.xml.

In addition,
will include the list with all tomcat instances where the
webapp is running. If none is found, the default worker
will be used.

1. if WEB-INF/jk.workers contains a single worker, we'll
have the current effect of JkMount

2. If it has multiple workers, it'll be load balanced,
as if a lb worker would have been defined and the app
would be mapped to that worker.

- Simple things are simple. After the initial configuration
of apache ( consisting of a LoadModule and pointing to
the path to tomcat -- which can be fixed for RPMs or
installed case ), the user will not have to do anything
else but soft-restart the web server.

- Keep application config separated.

- The use can still override whatever he wants ( using
explicit configs ) or place apps in different directories.

- no need to have tomcat running ( or running on
the server machine )

( this will be used in addition to ajp14 autoconf )

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message