tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Larry Isaacs <Larry.Isa...@sas.com>
Subject RE: JK2: Configuration(1)
Date Fri, 07 Dec 2001 01:55:56 GMT
After a quick glance, I'm +1.  This seems like a good
approach to automate the process in a way that is
still configurable.

Larry

-----Original Message-----
From: costinm@covalent.net <mailto:costinm@covalent.net>
Sent: Thu 12/6/2001 5:17 PM
To: tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org <mailto:tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Subject: JK2: Configuration(1)

Please reply - this is an important change !
I would like to add another configuration mechanism for jk2.
If people agree, this should be the default.
Assumptions:
- All webapplication that will be served must be
deployed on the machine running the web server (
otherwise the server can't find the static files )
- It is possible you run a load-balanced server and
you may ( or not ) have tomcats on the server machine.
- Minimal user configuration for 'simple' case.
Advanced users will still have full power to override.
Details:
Via workers.properties ( or httpd.conf ) we'llspecify the path to webapps/
directory ( one or many ) and the 'style' ( flat or vhost ).
mod_jk will use the same logic as tomcat to find all subdirs,
and automatically add the contexts. ( using 'global' mappings )
In addition, for each webapplication jk will check
   [appbase]/WEB-INF/jkmappings.properties
If the file exists, it'll contain per/webapp mappings
( without the context prefix ) == an easy to parse
form of what's in web.xml.
In addition,
   [appbase]/WEB-INF/jk.workers
will include the list with all tomcat instances where the
webapp is running. If none is found, the default worker
will be used.
Note:
1. if WEB-INF/jk.workers contains a single worker, we'll
have the current effect of JkMount
2. If it has multiple workers, it'll be load balanced,
as if a lb worker would have been defined and the app
would be mapped to that worker.
Benefits:
- Simple things are simple. After the initial configuration
of apache ( consisting of a LoadModule and pointing to
the path to tomcat -- which can be fixed for RPMs or
installed case ), the user will not have to do anything
else but soft-restart the web server.
- Keep application config separated.
- The use can still override whatever he wants ( using
explicit configs ) or place apps in different directories.
- no need to have tomcat running ( or running on
the server machine )

( this will be used in addition to ajp14 autoconf )
Costin