tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-4.0/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/startupCatalina.java
Date Thu, 27 Dec 2001 02:28:50 GMT
Glenn Nielsen wrote:

> > Nothing has changed in the soap web application except running it
> > in Tomcat 4.1-dev instead of Tocmat 4.0.1.  Under 4.1-dev the java
> > process fails to terminate on a stop, under 4.0.1 the process terminated
> > normally.
> >

> After playing around with my server.xml config and the soap web app
> web.xml I have isolated the problem down to a <listener> configured in
> the web.xml.  Removing the <listener> config fixes the problem.
> >From looking at the list of Threads in the main ThreadGroup, if a listener
> is configured there is an additional thread created that is never destroyed
> or setDaemon().  The listener class itself does not use threads.

Ok, _my mistake_, the session listener configured does start a background
thread.  Updating the code for starting that thread to use setDaemon(true)
fixed the problem with Tomcat 4.1-dev shutting down.

But the behavior of how non Daemon threads are handled at shutdown must
have changed between Tomcat 4.0.1 and Tomcat 4.1-dev.

Thanks,

Glenn