tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Speed <psp...@progeeks.com>
Subject Re: Connector compatibility between TC 4.0 and 4.1
Date Thu, 20 Dec 2001 20:00:59 GMT

costinm@covalent.net wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Dec 2001, Kevin Seguin wrote:
>
> > perhaps now is the time to do some rethinking of where the connectors for
> > each serlvet container live.
> >
> > today, in j-t-c, there is the framework (for lack of a better word) for
> > connectors plus the individual connectors or adapters for tomcat 3 and
> > tomcat 4.
> >
> > personally, i think it would be better to have the individual
> > connectors/adapters live with the servlet container itself.  i.e. put the
> > ajp13 connector for tomcat 4 in the jakarta-tomcat-4.0 source tree.  this
> > way, j-t-c can build without having dependencies on any servlet containers,
> > and servlet containers that want to provide connectors that make use of
> > j-t-c can (optionally) depend on j-t-c.
>
> My thinking ( for 4.1/3.3 ) was to have j-t-c built as a
> 'standalone module', a trusted/priviledged webapp that can be deployed and
> is self-contained.
>
> Keeping all container adapters in j-t-c has the extra benefit that we can
> share more code among them.

It still feels wierd to me.  Imagine if JNDI did things this way...
we'd have to have every provider installed just to build it. :)

I think if the layer of abstraction is at the right point you can
get a compromise between code reuse and modularity.  Otherwise, since
the container adapters are in a different module than the containers
themselves, there are always going to be cases where container
improvements break the connector build.  This is because they are
tagged differently, etc..

Right now it seems to be structured that j-t-c is the application
and the containers are its libraries.  It seems like it should
really be the other way around.  But that's just my non-committer
$0.02.  And I run Tomcat stand-alone anyway... the engineer in me
just had to say something. :)

> And the build changes I'm trying to make
> should simplify building for all or just individual containers.
>
> For the current release - I don't think we should move the code.
> For jk2 - I also think we should wait until it's in a more concrete shape.

So are you saying that the dependencies should be restructured as
discussed above, but just not yet?

-Paul