tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From tagunov <>
Subject i18n/servlets/jsp: tutorial/essay
Date Mon, 03 Dec 2001 04:40:26 GMT
Hello, community! :-)

I have spent quite a bit time solving two complementary
problems: outputting web pages in national
(cyrillic, Japanese, Chinese)characters/
reading form parameters with national characters with

I have also spent quite a bit time answering questions
about these tasks in several mailists - looks like
this sometimes becomes a quest for people.

So I have written a short tutorial/essay on this topic
that I would like now to present for your attention
and review.

I would really this to be the link I will easily send
people when I hear them ask again questions that I have
already answered a number of times various maillists, so
I modestly ask those of you who are interested in the
subject and/or have any experience in this field to comment
on it and correct my surely numerous and large mistakes :-)

BTW, i have developed one arguable idea in
this essay that i would very much like to discuss with
experts. It is about the fact that you can't dynamically
choose a charset in a jsp in a servlet-engine portable way..

This idea closely touches the question of how functional
any imagenable i18n taglib can be and thus has a direct
connection with i18n taglibrary developmet.

There are a couple places in this essay that i would eagerly
like to make more complete. To do this i need feedback, especially
from people who run servlet engines different from mine...

Having thought through my ideas well i would certainly like
now to share them with the community and possibly start some
discussion around it! :-)

And without any doubt, I invite everybody who is experiencing
problems with i18n/servlets/jsps to try to find some help
in this modest study.

Sincerely yours,
Anton Tagunov

P.S. I'm sorry not to be on the list,
(it's actually so crowded!) so if you want me
to hear your replies, please e-mail directly!

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message