tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <>
Subject Re: Default classes loaded by Tocmat
Date Fri, 28 Dec 2001 08:35:42 GMT

On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 12:31:26PM -0800, Anand Bashyam Narasimham wrote:
> Craig,
> I know Tomcat has always been a standards compliant implementation. But will
> it be possible say for developers to have extensions where instead of
> writing the import statements in a whole lot of JSPs we make sure the Class
> loader loads this as a extension to the list you've mentioned using some
> config file read at startup.

Easy to do without hacking Tomcat or distressing Tomcat developers :)

Write a JSP with the imports:

--- imports.jsp ---
<%@page import="a, b, c"%>

and include it at the top of any JSPs that need them:

<%@include file="imports.jsp"%>

And one day when you try porting a JRun application to Tomcat, you'll
see why servlet container "features" like implicit imports, or accepting
<%= foo; %> are extremely evil ;)

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message