tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From <cost...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-4.0/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina Container.java
Date Fri, 09 Nov 2001 21:38:09 GMT
On Fri, 9 Nov 2001, Pier Fumagalli wrote:

> > So either add in big letter "INCOMPATIBLE WITH 4.0" or roll back the
> > incompatible changes.
>
> :) Or at least, post a message detailing what and why BEFORE committing.

Well, Remy's commit seems ok - adding methods doesn't brake compatiblity.

Removing methods ( or changing parameter types ) is a major problem, and
any connector module will be hurt.

The important things is to decide ( ASAP ) if 4.1 is going to be backward
compatible with 4.0 or not.

Keeping it backward compatible will be great for people who develop
modules and code based on 4.0 ( both jk and webapp are examples ). The
downside is that the API is likely to become even more complex ( since
more methods are beeing added ), and improvements will be limted.

I'm +0 with any choice - as long as a vote takes place.

I'm very unhappy seeing major project changes going on without vote or
discussion - I assumed that if nobody comments or vote on a proposal that
means 'no interest' - that's why 3 +1 votes are supposed to be needed.
( that's unrelated - I sent a -1 on management API beeing commited
without discussion and vote - but nobody seemed to care, and that was interpreted
as ok to move ahead)

Costin