tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From <cost...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-4.0/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina Container.java
Date Fri, 09 Nov 2001 20:59:14 GMT
On Fri, 9 Nov 2001, Pier Fumagalli wrote:

> remm@apache.org wrote:
>
> > API CHANGE: add new findContainerListeners method. This method will only
> > need to be implemented in ContainerBase.
>
> Not to be a pain in the butt... But I can't recall the discussion of all
>   API changes I'm seeing... API changes are not "that" good when not
> discussed (see what happened between 4.0 and 4.1 in the connectors world)...

Speaking of that, I still have problems with the SocketFactory and can't
build the same code on 4.0 and 4.1.

I have no problem if 4.1 is going to be incompatible at API level with 4.0
- in fact I would be very happy to see the API cleaned up and easier to
use - but I would prefer if this is decided by vote and ... we know about
it :-)

Right now the APIs are very close - and people may be misleaded into
thinking 4.1 is backward compatible with 4.0, which is not ( at least the
ajp connector didn't built few days ago with 4.1 ).

So either add in big letter "INCOMPATIBLE WITH 4.0" or roll back the
incompatible changes.

Costin